NORMAL OPERATING PROCEDURES (NOP):
Pool dimensions 22m x 7.4m
Shallow water – 1.10m
Deep end – 2.40m
Emergency Phone – Dial 999 and ask for the service required.
Location of emergency telephone: on the wall of the corridor leading out of the swimming pool between the boys and girls changing rooms. Address: The Marlborough Science Academy, Watling Street, St Albans, Hertfordshire AL1 2QA.
Potential Risks Factors:
- Entrance from girls changing room is onto deep water
- Glare from lights and sun on water surface
- Injuries from diving boards
Various lifesaving equipment is available
MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL SWIMMING POOL RULES
The following rules and regulation have been made for the safety and wellbeing of all users.
- No smoking in the pool building
- The consumption of food and drink is not allowed in the pool buildings
- No prams, pushchairs, etc. are allowed in the pool area
- No animals are allowed in the pool buildings
- Valuable must not be left in the changing rooms
- No outdoor footwear in the pool area
- The lifesaving equipment must only be used in an emergency and not as teaching aids.
- No running in the pool area
- No splashing
- No pushing, ducking or pulling under
- No diving (except under supervision in the deep end)
- No behavior or actions likely to cause accident or offence will be tolerated
- No shouting or screaming
- Plastic balls must not be thrown at people or at the walls or ceiling
- Bricks must not be thrown.
ANYONE BREAKING ANY OF THESE RULES WILL BE EXCLUDED FROM USING THESE FACILITIES.
EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN (EAP):
All staff, pupils, visitors and other users of the swimming pool must have a full working knowledge of the pool rules and emergency procedure.
In the event of a minor accident in the pool (conscious pupil);
- teach to sound long whistle and clear the pool of all pupils
- teacher performs rescue
- teacher assesses seriousness of situation and act accordingly (4&5)
– if pupil loses consciousness or has suspected spinal injury, send a responsible assistant for appropriate help.
- if spinal injury suspected, teach to support casualty in the water until specialist help arrives.
- if pupil stabilized and not seriously injured either send responsible assistant for internal first aider, take all class to change or continue lesson.
In the event of serious accident in the pool (unconscious pupil):
- Clear the pool with one long blasé on the whistle – swimmers should make their way to the benches and sit down quietly. A responsible person should check that all swimmers have safely left the water
- Teacher to send responsible assistant for appropriate help.
- Effect a rescue using lifesaving equipment provided on the walls or if necessary by entering the water and swimming to the causality.
- If appropriate, take causality from the water with aid of responsible student, and commence resuscitation as required until emergency service arrives.
- the responsible person should ten supervise the rest of the group changing if no further assistance is required on the poolside.
FIRE PROCEDURES FOR MARLBOROUGH SCHOOL HIRERS
- The fire alarm is a continuous ringing bell
- If you hear this continuous ringing bell, leave the building and gather around the white statue at the front of the school
- One person from your group must take responsibility for collecting foil blankets and the register. Check changing rooms and ensure all members of your party evacuate the building and are present at the statue. If anyone is missing notify the Duty Caretaker or other members of staff in authority
- If you discover fire, activate the nearest fire alarm then proceed as above. Notify the Duty Caretaker or other member of staff where the fire is located.
- Do not enter the building until instructed to do so, await further instruction.
VERULAM AMATEUR SWIMMING CLUB
(Affiliated with Swim England East Region)