Did you know Verulam ASC is managed entirely by dedicated volunteers working hard to make the season fun and successful? Volunteers are parents, senior swimmers and even parents whose children have long left the club. Without them there could be no swimming club.
Our current volunteers thoroughly enjoy what we do, but we could be an even more organised and successful club if we had more helpers. Whether you can spare time to supply drinks during a gala, provide occasional help to our coaches as a poolside helper, or are willing to become an official, we are sure you will find the experience rewarding. We will provide support and training as required. We appreciate everyone has busy lives, but please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll find a job to suit you.
What sort of jobs are there?
Admin jobs, some of which are committee roles.
ASA Registration Officer
Currently we are keen to fill the following roles:
- Workforce Co-ordinator – To ensure that the Club has the correct number of Officials and Helpers available for galas, as well as ensuring that the door, raffle and poolside drinks are organised.
- Volunteer Co-ordinator – To act as the main contact for all our volunteers.
- Training Development Officer – To identify appropriate courses for the development of our volunteers and coaches.
Poolside jobs. Our coaches are always keen to hear from parents willing to spend time to help run training sessions. We can even send volunteers on training courses to become coaches and teachers.Gala roles Did you know it can take at least 20 people to run a gala?Some of which are Officials roles. There are 4 basic levels of qualification for a technical swimming official:
- Timekeeper: Competent with a stop watch and able to act as a Chief Timekeeper at an event. Minimum age 14yrs.
- Judge: Knows the laws of the various strokes and is able to place the finishing order of an event. Minimum age 15 rs.
- Starter: Nice loud clear voice with the ability to settle the swimmers and start them fairly.Minimum age 15 rs.
- Referee: Responsible for running the event safely and fairly.Minimum age 18yrs.
There are also other “non-technical” officials. These do not require any particular qualification, but are still vital for the successful running of an event and include:
- Announcer: Reads out safety announcements prior to gala and then announces each race and any other information as directed by the referee.
- Recorders: Record results of each race from slips provided by judges. Normally two recorders required, with both writing down results and cross-checking them throughout the evening.
- Runners: Throughout the gala getting results sheets from the Recorders and displaying them in the gallery, behind the spectators.
- Door Money and Programme: Man a table in reception area to give out programmes and collect fee per adult spectator. For some galas there may also be raffle tickets to sell.
- Door Sign In/Registration: For certain Galas, including Club Champs, swimmers need to register that they have turned up to swim. Minimum of two people required, one to sign in boy swimmers and another the girls.
- Marshals/Whips/Stewards: To make sure swimmers know what and when they are swimming (from lists provided) and guide them towards the starting blocks at the appropriate time.
Please contact us on email@example.com if you can help in any way. Thank you.